Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Is there proof this is true?

Question
Hi Pamela

In Anthony Robbins Book "Unlimited Power" on page 160 he says the most effective way to breathe in order to cleanse our system and to fully oxygenate the blood and activate our lymphatic system are in these ratios:

Inhale one count, hold four counts,exhale two counts. If we inhaled for four seconds, we would hold for sixteen and exhale for eight.

Or Stop and take ten deep breaths, in the above ratio, at least three times a day. The ratio is "one count inhale, four counts hold, two counts exhale."

Is there any scientific proof that these ratios are any better for a man's health than just normally taking deep breathes in and out through out the day?

Take Care

Answer
Dear Sterling,

The premise to this action is to better oxygenate the body. Oxygenated blood is better able to provide energy to the tissues. The ratios are more indicative of meditation. When the mind and body are at rest, the body is better able to heal itself. If you would like more information, I suggest you do a web search on integrative medicine.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN