Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Re: LDL Cholesterol

Hi There,
My name is Lila Ann & i have a few questions i would like to ask first of all i went to my PCP to have blood drawn for a CBC test & got the results back today & when i went to see her to have my results i asked her if everything was ok the first thing i asked was about my sugar count A1C b/c the last blood test i took was 6.1 & she said that i didn't have diabetes but that i was considered pre-diabetic. She informed me to just watch what i eat & get an exercise plan going. There are some days i go walking & there are some days i don't. BAD GIRL.. Any way getting back to my results yesterday my doc didn't seem to concerned when i asked her about my pre-diabetic condition & she told me that my A1C count went from 6.1 to 5.9 not much different & she said not to worry. However i was shocked when she told me that my LDL CHOLESTEROL jumped from 66 pts to123 but my HDL LEVEL went from 67 to 80 pts. My eating habits are very bad meaning that when my depression gets going & i can't sleep i tend to eat like 1:00 am/2:00am which i know is bad but i try to cut down on potato chips/mint chocolate chip ice cream late at night i just love ice cream all kinds of ice cream.. Is ice cream bad for the increase in LDL LEVELS? B/c i started to eat like that again. I also smoke alot and i want to know if smoking plays a role in the increase of LDL LEVELS so i can try to not smoke as much b/c i am afraid that i might get a STROKE OR A HEART ATTACK being that my LDL LEVEL rose from 66 pts to 123 pt & what can i do to lower my LDL LEVEL & what kinds of dietary changes should i make along with exercise. Just to let u know i know FISH is good for u but i just HATE eating fish are there other alternatives besides fish that i can eat. I also love veggies but i need dressing with it. Thank u so much sorry for the long story & hope to hear from u soon!

Much Regards,
Lila Ann

Dear Lila Ann,

LDL cholesterol comes strictly from land animals: beef, pork, chicken, venison, etc. Anything made from an animal counts as well : butter, cream, eggs, cheese, and ice cream. Non-fat dairy has no LDL cholesterol or minimal at best. Limit your servings of these food groups and your LDL, as well as your A1C will lower naturally.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.