Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/terrible vaginal odor

I've been experiencing bad vaginal odor off & on for almost 3 yrs now.It's worse on some days than others, it drives me crazy..started around the time I was pregnant & I hoped it'd go post partum..nope..I don't have any itching/burning/ prior yeast infections..I've always had yellowish discharge but this repulsive odor never before..I tried vinegar rinse, Rephresh, they only solve it temporarily..I stop it & the odor comes right back..the only way around is lot of pantiliner changes..Plz advice..thnks much

Dear Kebhisha,

You most likely have a bacterial infection called bacterial vaginosis. Very often there are no symptoms. The odor is generally described as "fishy". And the odor increases during sexual intercourse. The treatment for this is either a vaginal or oral antibiotic. Metronidazole is the oral preparation. You cannot drink alcohol with this drug. It causes severe vomiting. The vaginal preparation is called Clindamycin cream. You insert the cream using an applicator every night for 7 nights.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.