Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/acid reflux symptoms

Question
QUESTION: Hi Pamela, I sometimes suffer from acid reflux although mostly this is controled by taking Omeprazole under the supervision of a doctor.

My question: can increased saliva be a symptom of acid reflux? I have had little in the way of acid reflux symptoms recently but have noticed I am producing much more saliva than usual.

Many thanks for your response.

David

ANSWER: Dear David,

Yes. An excessive amount of saliva, especially in the morning, can be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is also known as silent reflux, Because there are no symptoms of heartburn or regurgitation. Changing your diet can help to decrease this symptom.  Reducing the amount of cheese, chocolate, alcohol, and citric fruits or juices, will be beneficial, and may help in avoiding the need for medication.

QUESTION: thanks Pamela. I find that it is particularly a problem in the morning and also if I get hungry. I have tended to fall into an habit, through being busy at work, of eating lunch at about 2-30pm and because I go to gym classes after work I tend to eat dinner at 8-30pm. I tend to salivate big time then.

I presume changing these habits might make a difference too?

Answer
Dear David,

Yes. Changing your habits will help with the reflux. There are a few suggestions to follow to help with the symptoms:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours in small amounts if possible. This will avoid the accumulation of gastric juices to form and have nothing to digest.

2. Have your last meal at least 3 hours prior to going to bed. Your stomach will be essentially empty and the reflux will be less likely to occur if their is nothing in your stomach to enter the esophagus.

3. Lying on your right side, while sleeping, will help to close the lower esophageal sphincter allowing the food to move through the stomach and enter the small intestines; decreasing the esophageal reflux.  

Wishing you all the best!  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN