Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Beer Belly

Question
My hubby, 55, has gone on a health kick. He is practicly vegetarian, and exercises daily. After a couple months he has lost a litle weight and is looking better, firmer all over, but, he still is a binge drinker and still has a big hard belly, but with very little fat.  I think this has to be related to the booze, because after a binge he looks like a nine month pregnant lady for a week, then it goes down, then back again with the next binge.
If I could convince him its the booze and not to much carbs, lack of situps or supplements, etc, he would probably cut down. Thanks for your help!

Answer
Dear Susan,

Beer is full of hops which helps to increase the abdominal girth, in addition to being a carbohydrate. The best way to cut down on the waist line is to limit alcohol to one or two a week, drink plenty of water, exercise daily and do plenty of aerobis exercise - fast paced walking, biking, running, etc. Hope this helps.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN