Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Burning/Tingly ache back

Hello Pam,

I am 5'7 195lbs caucasion male. For the past week, I have been dealing with a dull off and on ache on the middle/upper portion for my left back, shoulder and arm. I have has a little bit of a burning sensation along with tingling sensation as well.

I am recovering from Mononucleosis and I also tested positive for CMV virus and my ANA came back with a 1:80, but they are contributing this to the MONO. HEP Panel came back normal.

I also had blood work done recently. All is normal, but my Glucose is barley high at 102 (Norm range is 75-100). I had a EKG done and a cardiac panel done and both came back normal as well. I had an ultrasound of my Pancreas/Liver/Gallbladder and kidney with all normal, besides Mild thickening of the Gallbladder wall.

My question is what can cause the burning aches and tingling sensation of the back, shoulder and occasionally arm. Its all on the left side. Also, If I eat a greasy or fatty meal, I tend to get a little bit of reflux, which also can contribute to it. Just not sure what direction to go or look at. Any help would be appreciated

Dear Chris,

Tingling is a sign of nerve involvement. Did you ever injure your shoulder? The brachial plexus is a network of nerves that begins in the cervical spine and supplies nerves to the shoulder arm and hand. You were not specific with where exactly the pain and tingling is affecting. An X-ray if the neck will show subluxations, but an MRI will show disc width and nerve involvement. The reflux from hight fat content foods is due to the gallbladder. Changing your diet to a low fat diet may prevent further disease process to the gallbladder.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.