Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Please help

Question
Please help my grama is 62 she has heart issues for a long time and high blood pressure since forever and her kidneys shut down in 2012 and just earlier this year we found out she has cancer to top it off and before we found that out she use a heart attack while bein in the middle of dialysis and now her legs ate swelled and was just in the Er and its not water weight or anything like that but they don't know and say she's in major heart failure oh and plus, just last week her plates dropped from 150 to 83 so please can anyone help cause these stupid doctors aren't doing anything right for her except sending her to her grave faster. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me find out what to do.... please...

Answer
Dear Jessica,

I am so sorry for everything you and you grandma are going through. If she had an echocardiogram, I would think it would show significant heart failure. The heart is a pump. If there is too much fluid, and the pump is weak, it cannot pump all the fluid and it ends up in her legs and feet. Dialysis can help to take off the extra fluid and cleanse her blood. But many times the heart rules. It sounds like the cancer is affecting her blood counts. I am not too concerned about her platelet count, she can get blood products to assist in that area. Did you talk to your grandma to find out what she wants? Unfortunately, the body can only take so much before it stops. And many times the treatment is painful without the improvement expected. I think you should have a talk with your grandma and spend as much time with her. That is the best medicine anyone can offer.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN