Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Ear??!!

Question
Hello. For 3 months I have had fluid trapped behind my right eardrum and inflamed sinuses after having a cold. I am now having an issue with my eye feeling sore and same with my right temple I can feel both when I squeeze my eyes shut and when I push on my temple I can fin where the pain is. What is causing this?? I have an appointment with an ENT but it's still a month away and the temple and eye pain is making my anxiety go crazy. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help all of these issues until I see an ENT? I am using the neti pot and saline sprays. I tried nasonex but it made my sinus pain in my cheek worse. I have also tried heat on my ear and the valsalva maneuver with no luck. Please help!! I'm really nervous that my right eye and temple are now sore.

Answer
Dear Kindra,

Your ENT will have other options for you to try. In the meantime, I recommend avoiding the neti pot. It may be exacerbating the sinus inflammation by trapping water in the sinus cavity. If you have not done so already, try pseudoephedrine. It is a powerful decongestant that may help to open the sinus passages. You may need steroids or long term antibiotics to completely clear the inflammation or the infection.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN