Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/general

Question
I have a B-12 deficiency which has caused various parts of my body to go numb, I had my gallbladder taken out and most of my thyroid as well I am only 37 yrs old and it feels like I'm 90.Its hard to go up and down stairs due to extreme weakness in my legs and for the past couple nights when I go to lay down to sleep my toes get hot,tender, sensitive to anything that touches them and they hurt so bad I cant sleep moving them is the only way to stop the pain. It is starting to be painful even when I'm just sitting still my feet start to ache badly.Please and advice will be helpful on how do I alleviate the pain long even to get some rest I'm wearing out quickly..

Answer
Dear Daisy,

You mentioned that you have a B12 deficiency. Have you seen a gastroenterologist? There are injections you can receive to replace the vitamin B12 especially if you have pernicious anemia where you are unable to absorb the vitamin when taken by mouth. You also mentioned that You had a partial thyroidectomy. Do you know what your last TSH level was? Are you on thyroid replacement therapy? Are you being followed by an endocrinologist? These are all reasons why you may be experiencing chronic pain and tingling   extremities. Please feel free to write back with the answers to those questions. It will help me to help you.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN