Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/High Ammonia Levels

Hello.  I am in my 30's and was recently hospitalized for colitis and am recovering from pneumonia due to aspiration (was on an ventilator for 2 days).  My PCP called today and said lab work showed my ammonia level is elevated. I will follow up with a GI at the end of January.  I have been very tired, weak, and am sometimes pretty confused.  Could the confusion and weakness be related to the elevated ammonia level?  Is there anything I can do to help myself before my GI appointment?

I am not sure how high the ammonia level is, but a high level can cause some confusion... that is typically from advanced liver disease but can be aggravated with a big imbalance of the colon bacteria...    I would want to know how high the level is and whether you should have a more urgent liver evaluation.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki

I am an expert in Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine.

I am trained and boarded in Family Medicine and have also worked extensively in emergency medicine for over 10 years.

BA in Natural Sciences; MD in 1986\borucki