Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Induced Vomiting

Question
I was reading the extended safety measures for a particular product and it said to not try to induce vomiting when swallowed. It seems to me that it should always be better to get something toxic out of a person's system before it go too far in. Under what conditions should a person not try to vomit something out?

Answer
if it is caustic and may cause more problems coming back out is one.  But basically, you are right.... if something is toxic, then getting it out is the best choice.

Other reasons would be something that is absorbed very quickly and chances are it is already absorbed and not sitting in the stomach.  Also things that are sedating... you don't want a groggy person to vomit in the worry they might aspirate the contents.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki