Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Leg cramps and lifestyle change

I'm a 30 year old female. Six months ago I was living a very different lifestyle. I had a job where I was on my feet for 8 hours a day, and I ate a lot of fast food. I would work out maybe once a week at this point.

Things are very different now. I have a job where most of the day I sit, however, I still get up and move around a lot. I started goiig to the gym 3-4 times a week, and started to eat very healthy, and take multivitamins. My problem is, about 4 months ago I started getting terrible cramps in my calves. They began happening only at night. I would wake up and stretch my legs while I moved and would be instantly debilitated. The pain in so awful that I can't move my body. I would stay there body stiff and tight for a few minutes until it finally ended. It feels very sore for about 2 days following as well.

This is happening to both legs maybe twice a week. I wasn't too concerned with it as it was more of an inconvenience than anything else. That is, until it started happening at other times. A friend tried to help me stretch my legs last week. I was on my back and she had my legs to each side of her shoulders. Instant pain. I couldn't get out of that position. Both legs cramped. It happened again yesterday, AND the night cramps.

Any ideas as to why my body is putting me through so much pain?

Thank you for your time.

I would have a couple lab tests... primarily thyroid and blood salts.... potassium, magnesium... I would also have calcium checked.   If those are all normal, then a trial of magnesium (supplement in vitamin section) about 400-800 mg daily is worth a try.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki

I am an expert in Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine.

I am trained and boarded in Family Medicine and have also worked extensively in emergency medicine for over 10 years.

BA in Natural Sciences; MD in 1986\borucki