Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Blood Pressure

Question
Hello,

How accurate are personal blood pressure monitors, like those from ReliOn? I took my blood pressure and it was in the 130s, with the irregular heartbeat icon showing. I immediately took it a few more times, and it seemed to have quickly dropped to 108, then to 104. I switched to the right arm and it showed around 126. I did not get the irregular heartbeat symbol again after the first test. I also checked the batteries, which were fine.

Answer
bp monitors vary as far as accuracy, but in general they give a representation of what is happening.  BP is a dynamic process than changes minute to minute.  The arm cuffs are more accurate only because they are less affected by arm/heart position.  The wrist cuffs are ok if you have your wrist in just the right position relative to the heart.

But you will have some variation.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki