Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/abnormal pap

Question

I am writing about my 32 year old wife.  She got a call from her OBGYN saying she had an abnormal pap but negative for HPV.  She is also 11 weeks pregnant.  Neither she or the doctor seem to be concerned but I am.  Could the pregnancy cause the abnormal results?  Obviously the fact that she tested negative for HPV makes me feel better but at the same time I am sure there are other cancerous conditions that could cause an abnormal reading?

Thanks

Answer
bottom line, don't worry about it.... since HPV is neg, this problem has a 50% rate of resolving itself..... and if it doesn't, could cause a problem in 5-10 years..... she will be retested and treated if needed after the delivery..... some inflammation can cause this (not pregnancy) and often just goes away on it's own.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki