Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Choice of Flu Vaccines for Over Age 65

Those over 65 this year (2013) can choose from the Trivalent High Dose vaccine, which preliminary evidence seems to indicate is about 25% more effective in this age group, or the Quadrivalent Standard Dose, which will be available for the first time this year.  Which would be the wiser choice -- the high does for three strains or the regular dose for four strains?

Tough question..... because in general, it is a guess.  Elderly people in general do not react to vaccines as well as younger, so it becomes less effective.   It is not an all or none phenomena, so even if someone elderly who has been vaccinated gets sick, it should be less intense.  

I would use the high dose vaccine.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki

I am an expert in Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine.

I am trained and boarded in Family Medicine and have also worked extensively in emergency medicine for over 10 years.

BA in Natural Sciences; MD in 1986\borucki