Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Ear

Question
QUESTION: Hi I have two questions that I hope you can help me with. Number one is my ear was hurting and I could feel like ear wax stuck in it. So I did a bad habit and tried to get it out with my finger. I tried a q tip earlier today and it would not come out. So I put my finger in my ear and my thumb under my ear lob area and I moved my ear up and down. A huge chunk of ear wax came out. It was not a ball it was thick and long. Once it came out I could hear. My ear is in pain now. It was wet wax when it came out. Could I have an ear infection.? My next question. My Neuroligist started me on lithium which was a really bad idea. I told him my kidneys were hurting he said just keep taking it. On Monday of last week I was so dehydrated it was not funny from this medicine. I take this for cluster headaches. I have been through every medicine on the market nothing works for me except for verapamil which gave me drug induced porphyria which was bad. Can lithium make your kidneys hurt. On the other note he will not listen to me. I have problems with my bladder so now I have to get a pacemaker for my bladder because it has stopped working and I am not happy with this medicine hurting my kidneys. It doesn't even work.

ANSWER: Dear Sean,

Regarding your ear, it should be checked by a medical professional. At worse, you could have punctured your eardrum; at best, you could have pushed the wax in too close to your eardrum which can cause an infection.

Regarding your kidneys, if your neurologist is not listening to you, you need to find a different neurologist. Lithium is excreted through the kidneys and the kidneys should be monitored very closely with blood tests and 24 hour urine tests. Drinking a minimum of 10 glasses of water, avoiding caffeinated, sugary, or artificially sweetened beverages will help to keep the kidneys functioning properly. Also, lithium interacts with many medications. For this reason, you should use only one pharmacy so your medications are up to date. Ask your pharmacist before adding any over the counter or herbal remedies.

QUESTION: Hi again. Yeah my plan Monday morning is contacting another neuroligist. He is basically done with me because he can not fix me so he is frustrated so he is basically hoping for a miracle. That is the other thing I have a hard time dring that much. I use to be able to do it with no problem. I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I am suppose to be drinking that much but I don't because I don't feel that thirsty. I also wanted to ask you. When I do drink a lot of water or when I go to the ER and they keep me their to watch me for a few days. They keep me hooked to a bag of fluid. When they do that it makes my kidneys and bladder hurt. Is that normal. Thanks.

Answer
Dear Sean,

If you have not done so already, you should be seen by a nephrologist (kidney doctor) to identify the cause of your pain. The short answer is, no, the kidneys and bladder should not hurt. The long answer is to lengthy to put on a conference board.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN