Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Endoscopy Results/Omeprazole.

Question
My husband (66 years old service connected veteran), had a endoscopy & colonoscopy at the VA Medical Center where he is treated on 8/5/2013. The colonoscopy was fine, and repeat testing in 10 years. The endoscopy results, the nurse practitioner told my husband that he had dried up blood in his stomach that was caused by his naproxen 500MG twice a day prescription. He has been taken off it permanently. He also has a current prescription for omeprazole 20MG 1 capsule to take for stomach acid(gerd) everyday. The nurse practitioner increased his prescription to (4) capsules a day (2 capsules twice a day for 2 months)to help heal the dried up blood in his stomach. My question is, is this too much omeprazole to be taken in one day (80MG)?  Also could 80MG of omeprazole cause him other medical problems? Please advise. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,

Marie

Answer
Dear Marie,

Many medications are dosed differently based on the condition of the patient. 80 mg of omeprazole is not exceedingly high for the treatment your husband requires. There is some research to suggest that taking proton pump inhibitors, like omeprazole, on a regular basis for no specific treatment can cause complications down the road due to an increase and alkalinity of the stomach secretions. Based on the assessment of your husband condition, he will be reassessed by his gastroenterologist. At that time, his medication may be reduced in dosage, or discontinued all together. I hope this helps.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN