Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/GERD

Question
I have read many many times that most people with GERD actually have LOW stomach acid instead of too much, the symptoms are the same. But most conventional doctors don't believe in it, I don't know if you do or not.
When I had an upper GI for abdominal discomfort, no heartburn at all, everything was normal but 'gastroesophageal reflux' was noted. (how could it have been that when there was no heartburn??) But what I'd really like to know is, does that mean they actually saw excess acid so there's no way it could have had low stomach acid? I remember that neither H2 blockers or PPIs worked.   Thanks

Answer
Reflux is a mechanical problem with stomach contents backing up into the esophagus...swallowing tube, that is independent of stomach acid... symptoms occur because the stomach acid irritates the esophagus.  The meds dont help reflux, they just make the reflux less irritating.  Reflux is worsened with going to bed with a full stomach, and obesity, moderate alcohol and other factors.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki