Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Hubbys Big Belly

My husband, 55, is a weekend binge drinker. He recently started eating healthier-ne red meat or simple carbs, and less calories, and he  exercise three times a week. Because of his arthritis in his knees, 20 minutes on our elliptical is all he can take.
My concern is he has gone from a 'functionaing alcoholic' to semi regular bing drinker. He like to have these 'blow outs' about every second weekend, usually on hard liquor, as a 'reward'.
He is in fact looking and feeling better, at least in my eyes, but the scale does not show any reward for all the hard work, and his waistline has not shrunk. If anything it is firmer. In fact it is not like the flabby guts I see other men I see on the beach, he has only a bit of fat and even has a faint six pack. Almost looks like a pregnabt lady.
It is starting to bother him to the point where he may go back to his old ways.
Is this a sign of damage to his internal organs from the alcohol?
Although I think it is mostly genetic, he has males in his family no family to compare himself to.
If he could be assured it is only a matter of time for it to get flatter, he would have more resolve to continue.
Thanks for the advvice

Dear Sue,

Research has shown that binge drinking, as well as weekend warriors, due as much damage to their liver as daily alcoholics. Ascites may be playing a role in his abdominal girth. I would advise a good physical to include blood work and liver ultrasound. His body is trying to communicate, but his brain is not paying attention.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.