Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/its my butt

This my not be your field of expertise, but I cant find a butt doctor here. If you cant help than you might not want to read this. Its pretty nasty. anal region itches like crazy!! Its been happening on and off  for about 7 months (I know) but isso much worse now and all the time. I dont have any trouble going potty butt (haha) wiping is horrible. It also becomes very itching after sex (vaginal by the way). There may be a few  small cuts? Im not real sure whats going on back there. I did just take a looky lou with my mirror and it blew my mind! Not only was i seeing this part of me for the first time but what i saw could not be normal. Around the exit area was red. There was also some white areas plus some areas i can only describe as blurple. Its not prwtty down there doc! I would send a pic but that seems weird. But if you think it would help i might be able to oblige. On a serious note, i am very worried because of how long its been going on and the fact its getting worse. I try so hard not to scratch but sometimes i do it in my sleep and dont realize it until i have already scratched it bloody and raw. I am a clean person. I shower daily. I dont do anything weird  back there either. I am almost thinking i may have knicked it a bit trimming the area months ago before it all started but the issue is NOT localized to the one spot past injury. Any ideas of what is happening and suggestions to make it better would be much appreciated. Thank you

Dear Kayla,

The most likely cause for your ailment is pinworms. They are more common than most people realize. The worms look like white thread. The eggs are oval and flat on one side. Contamination occurs when the hands are put to the mouth, because the eggs can reside under the nails. The eggs can also be ingested and inhaled.  An easy way to identify if you have pinworms, is to do the tape test. Using adhesive tape, place the sticky side onto the anal area. Three separate pieces of tape should be used. It should be done first thing in the morning. A positive test will show oval-shaped eggs with a flat side.  You may also get a worm which can look like thread. Regardless of the outcome, you should be evaluated by a medical professional. Worms are treated with prescription medication. All members of the family need to be treated. And your household needs to be decontaminated. However, like most things in medicine, there are several other reasons why you may be experiencing itchiness at the anal area. Therefore, I strongly recommend you seek medical attention to rule out anything more serious.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.