Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Question about the uvula, tonsils, and throat-a month after mono diagnosis.

Question
Throat
Throat  
Hello, doctor. I am in a panic because it is Sunday, and my primary care physician is on vAcation this up coming week. Last month I was diagnosed with mono, and my extreme symptoms ended about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have returned to my daily routine. This weekend, I started to develop a scratchy, not sore, throat. Last night after work, I examined the back of my throat and I noticed, first and foremost, purple patches on my uvula
Ranging in size and shape. They appear superficial, but purple, reddish blue on color. Almost like blood, I guess. I also noticed red and yellow green spots on the back of my throat, as well as slightly swollen tonsils with a couple of pus pockets on each tonsil. My whole throat appears irritated and red, but it's still not sore. I am a major hypochondriac, and I also have terrible anxiety. I think everything is cancer related, especially anything part aiming to the mouth. I recently quit chewing tobacco (2 months ago), and I have since then had an oral cancer screening. My dentist said I was fine, and my primary care doctor laughed at me and said the odds are extremely rare. I only chewed, off and on, for about 5 years. I went through 1-2 tins a week if that. What really threw me into a panic were the purple patches on my uvula, because I've never seen them before. Any information you can give me would be appreciated. Oh, and my wisdom teeth are also coming in, so I have been experiencing jaw pain up to my ears, sometimes difficulty chewing (tiredness), and that's pretty mch it. Sorry for the long winded question, I just tend to freak out about these things.  I am also attaching a picture of my throat (the flash is making it more extreme looking than it appears under normal lighting.

Answer
Dear Nicholas,

Based on your description, symptoms, and picture, you can rest your mind at ease that this is not cancer. It appears to be an acute infection in the oropharynx that may or may not be strep throat. Your best bet is to follow up with the doctor on call who is covering for your physician while he is away; or at a walk in clinic for a throat culture. Feel free to write in with any concerns.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN