Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Yeast?

Question
Pamela
I am male, 55. I have always suffered frpom a big bloated belly, although I am not obese. My doctor says I do not have IBS, celiac, thyroid, or ither disorders-he thonks its central obesity.
I have recently started avoiding foods that contain yeast, especially bread and beer. This was tough as they were my favorite foods.
After a week, my belly was a lot 'softer', and the constant sneezing and runny nose that I have always had were diminishing. I had a minor crisis in my life a couple days ago, and went back to the comfort foods of pizza, beer, etc. My bloating and runny nose is back.
Do you think that yeast is in fact the problem? There seems to be two sides. Some say its quackery-that the yeast in foods is actually dead.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Dear Bud,

Allergy is your immune system reacting to whatever entered  the body. It can  range from simple sneezing to anaphylactic reaction. Sensitivity to food produces unpleasant symptoms, but it's not dangerous. Gluten is in both pizza and beer and has recently been found to cause significant symptoms to many individuals. Bloating and weight gain are only two of the sensitivities associated with gluten. You can find more information and sensitivities and gluten-free diet at this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/05/health/gluten-5-things?c=&page=2

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN