Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/abdominal pain for over a year


QUESTION: I've been having pain in my abdomen for over a year it started around my gallbladder and is everywhere in the abdomen. I have had blood test urine texts ct scans ultra sounds and everything is normal except the pain. I had three different drs and an E.R. doctor tell me they can't  figure out whats causing the pain. Its so bad I have 2 prescriptions for pain.

ANSWER: Dear Joy,

Did you ever have any abdominal surgeries?
Was the CT with or without contrast? Did you drink something before the test?
How old are you?
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?
What types of food do you normally eat in a day? ie. Fried, animal fat, vegetarian, etc.

The reason I am asking these questions is to better understand where the pain may be originating from and how I can better help to diagnose the problem. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: No surgeries
With and without contrast
No food or drink before test
I'm 20
I'm 240 lbs which has been hard I gained 110 pounds in 3 years I gained most of it the year I quit high school and diet and exercise for months at a time won't even help loose a single pound
And my diet is a big breakfast eggs sausage etc.
Lunch is more of a snack dinner is a meat and veggies I dont eat sweets much I try to not eat starches like mac-n-cheese etc

Dear Joy,

If you have not done so already, schedule a physical examination to have your thyroid and adrenal glands assessed. I suggest you see a nutritionist to help you to get on a healthy, well balanced diet. If you gained a large amount of weight in a short period of time, it may be the abdominal muscles that are causing you pain from the rapid expansion. Also, try and avoid anything that has more than 3 ingredients in it and anything with preservatives. These things all contribute to chronic pain and fatigue. Once you omit these foods and get on a healthy diet, I think you will find the abdominal pain subsides. If, however, the pain worsens or you have a change in bowel habits, please seek the advice of a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN


My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.


I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Awards and Honors
Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.

©2017 All rights reserved.