Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Body changes

Question
I am a healthy 33 year old woman who no medical history except a few kidney stones. I go to the dr regularly and I have an apt with my gyno in 2 months. I feel like something is happening with my body. I use Mirena as my form of birth control so I usually don't have periods, however, about 5 weeks ago I had one of the heaviest periods I have ever had. I am noticing other changes as well. I have been moodier than usual and there are changes in my sex life as well. One day I will feel like I can't get enough sex and then I may go 2 weeks without being in the mood at all. I am wondering if there might be something wrong and if I could try to move the apt with my gyno up? This has been going on for a couple of months now and it's starting to worry me.

Answer
Dear Crystal,

I recommend you call your OBGYN for an appointment to assess for proper placement of the Mirena IUD. I do not know how much blood was involved with your last menstrual period. The Mirena IUD is designed to change the chemistry of the uterus to prevent a large menstrual loss. If it has migrated out of place, it can cause menses to return. Your sex drive, I believe, is unrelated. It is a combination of hormones, internal and external factors, all if which work in conjunction to allow for a higher or lower sex drive.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN