Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Cold feet

Question
hi...i am 27 years old and 153 pounds and (i am not overweight) with asthma which usually worsens in cold weather if i am not caeful plus my feet are really cold. They remain cold whether i wear socks and shoes, especially the toes even if my heels get warm the toes would remain cold. The right foot is more problematic than the left..i also have sciatic pain in my right leg and have used pain killer prescribed by my doc...i dont usually exercise alot but since the pain and now cold feet, i dont sit rather walk in my office room or keep standing...i am concerned because my friend suggested there might be a clot that's preventing proper blood circulation to my feet.

Answer
Dear Haris,

Toes and fingers vasoconstrict quicker than the rest of the body because the blood vessels are small, and there is nothing to keep them warm. If you notice a discoloration to your nail beds, you may have something called Raynaud's phenomenon. It is a syndrome where the blood vessels have a difficult time dilating. It is not serious and the only remedy is to keep your fingers and toes warm. A clot would cause pain due to the lack of oxygen blocked by the clot. If this is the case, you will need to have a Doppler ultrasound performed.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN