Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/fluid in ear

Question
I have been told by 2 doctors that I have fluid in one ear. my symptom is cackling only. No pain. I was treated for an upper respiratory infection thinking it would clear up but it didn't.
what do you suggest now?
thank you for your prompt response.

Answer
Dear Denise,

Fluid in your ear is due to congestion in the eustachian tubes. Eustachian tubes are hollow tubes that allow equilibrium to be attained to the middle ears. Fluid begins to back up when the tubes are clogged or blocked due to congestion. If you have not done so already, try sudafed from behind the pharmacy counter. One tablet every four hours will allow the eustachian tubes to open and clear out the congestion. If you have an allergy to sudafed, a history of hypertension, or tachycardia, sudafed will not be a good choice. Instead you can try Afrin nasal spray twice a day not to exceed 3 days. After 3 days, the capillary beds become dependent on the Afrin.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN