Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/knee surgery

I am 55. Three years ago I tore the meniscus in my left knee. The X-rays looked OK and my family doc said it would take time to heal.
Three years later I was still limping and it still got stiff after sitting for long periods, so I got acupuncture. This helped the pain and stiffness a bit, but I wanted full function. I am a bus driver, and the sitting and then the  stiffness upon rising no fun and a bit dangerous. So, I booked a visit with an orthopedic surgeon.
He said he could fix the tear and remove some arthritis, but the surgery was up to me if I could live with a bit of pain and stiffness. I decided to go ahead and book the operation.
I have a tendency to be a bit nervous around doctors, so I did not ask all the questions I should have. Can you help?
1. I am definitely a 'slow healer'. After the surgery, how long until I can resume normal activities?  In other words, how much time off work am I looking at?
2. Will this help ward off any future arthritis?
Thank you so much, and have a good new year!

Dear Bud,

First, let me explain why you should not be nervous to ask questions to your doctor. If you are bringing your vehicle to get repaired, would you just leave it up to the mechanic to fix what he thought needed fixing without discussing it with you? We are mechanics of the human body. You can replace your car - but not your body. Don't let anyone treat you until you are satisfied with the answer.

Now, to your question. The meniscus is cartilage under your knee. A tear produces stiffness and chronic pain. The surgery is done by using instruments to shave down the tear in the cartilage while leaving enough cartilage to keep the knee flexible. It will not prevent further complication, it will only fix this immediate problem. You will be elevating you leg above the level if your heart with ice packs for 48 hours. You will walk with crutches with 1-2 weeks. You can generally return to work in 2-4 weeks, depending on how quickly you heal. Call his office and ask the receptionist for information about the procedure. They may have patient handouts for you to read.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.