Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/LIVER ISSUES FOR TUMMY

Question
Dear Doctor,
I happen to watch a Medical program in TV. In that a doctor was explaining that the tummy issues are due to liver problem and needs to consult Internal Medicine specialist to get rid of tummy. Is it true? Can an Internist or Internal Medicine doctor can cure this. I am 45yrs old with slim body and big tummy. I need to decide to consult after seeing your reply. Please clarify.

Thanks in advance...

Suresh
Kuwait

Answer
Dear Suresh,

Commonly, a larger abdominal girth is due to excessive animal fat, white sugar, or simple carbohydrates such as bread. If you can limit the amount of animal fat and carbohydrates, while increasing your heart rate through cardiovascular exercise, your tummy be flat again. Your liver will not cause an enlarged tummy unless you have severe liver disease from alcoholism causing fluid to form in the abdominal area. This is called ascites and is enlargement to the tummy due to excessive fluid  around the liver. If you do not have a problem with alcohol or liver disease, your tummy will flatten with the reduction of fat and carbohydrates.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN