Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/scabies

Question
Can you give me any info on scabies?  We did treatments to the infected people in the house, and then it goes awhile and it pops up again.  It is very frustrating!  So any information would be helpful or any websites with info would be great.  Thanks.

Answer
Dear Devonna,

The symptoms of scabies include:
Intense itching
Skin rash of tiny red bumps that look like bites or pimples (These spread slowly over a period of weeks or months.)
Intense itch that leads to loss of sleep
Bumps that sometimes become infected as a result of scratching

A person can be infected with scabies for four to six weeks before having symptoms. It's important that you get rechecked up to six weeks after you think you may have been exposed or anytime symptoms occur, even if you were already screened for scabies.

Scabies is treated with a cream that contains a medicine called "permethrin." This cream must be ordered by your health care provider. The cream is applied to the whole body below the head, including the hands, palms, and soles of the feet. In children with scabies, the cream may need to be applied to the scalp. Be sure that the skin is clean, cool, and dry before applying the cream.
Permethrin cream is left on the skin for 8 to 14 hours and then washed off. (The cream is most often applied at night and washed off in the morning).
Antihistamines, medicine taken by the mouth and in creams, may also be ordered to relieve itching. Any infections that are present will also be treated.

To prevent re-infestation:
Washing bed linens, towels, and clothing in hot water and machine dry.
Making sure family members and others in close contact with the infected person get checked for scabies.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN