Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/"Shock" in upper leg

Hi Pamela-

About 3 months ago I was walking up some bleachers at a game when I felt a "shock" (like an electric fencer shock) in my left leg muscle about where my front pants pocket is. It lasted just a millisecond and it felt like my leg muscle lost its strength. As quick as it happened it was gone with no other problems. It has happened 3 times since, 2 times on stairs, once just walking. Last night it happened while I was going down the stairs and luckily I was holding on to the hand rail. Again it is just a brief shock, always the left leg by my front pocket.

I am 50 years old and passed a mini-physical (BP, Cholesterol, etc..)at work last fall. I do a lot of standing/walking at work but this has never happened at work. History of some heart diseases and cancer in family but no neurological (MS, Parkinson's, etc..) on either side of the family.

Any ideas?

Dear Jim,

I suggest you discuss this with your primary care provider. An MRI of your lumbar spine will be able to identify if you have disc issues that are involving the nerve root. An electrical feeling is caused by a nerve. Without imaging studies, the reason for this is unknown.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.