Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/chills

Female 79,  daughter 50.  Both of us cannot get warm during winter months.  We experience deep chills running through our bodies frequently. Feel like getting a cold or such, but don't.
In the house temp. at 73F and we walk around in heavy shirts and sometimes she puts a hoodie on. Sometimes I will break out in cold sores but nothing more, but she does not. Our bp. is not extremely low but on the low side.  115/69 and better at times. Mine will also spike up high and then drop during the day. Hers stays in the mentioned range. Docs don't seem to listen when you tell them. any reason for this?  thanks

Dear Pat,

Medically, when was the last time either of you had your thyroid levels checked? If they are within normal limits, I recommend wearing undergarments to protect from the cold. It is not an uncommon complaint. Brown fat is what our bodies use for insulation from the cold. Not everyone has enough brown fat to keep them warm.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.