Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Hashimoto

I am trying to figure out what is going on.  I am a 50-year-old female with Hashimoto’s, and I am in menopause.  I weigh approximately 133 pounds, and I am 5’2”.  In early 2010, I was diagnosed with being positive for diphtheroids.  Later that year, I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr.  I do not know if what is currently going on has anything to do with that, but thought I would mention it.  The only medication I am on is Synthroid.  Here are my current symptoms - any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated - thank you
Abdominal discomfort/distention – at times, I look seven months pregnant
Feeling full quickly
Hemorrhoids – bulging/bleeding
Some loss of appetite
Some slight nausea
I seem to get these symptoms about once a year, they typically resolve with antibiotics but I have never been able to find out what is going on.  I had an abdominal ultrasound about a year ago, and all was normal.  I had a colonoscopy in 2008, which was normal with the exception of a few polyps, which were removed, biopsied, and found to be non-cancerous.  I had a partial hysterectomy in 2008.  I believe they took everything with the exception of my ovaries.

the workup is not brand new, but is pretty adequate.... I would ensure that your thyroid tests are normal on synthroid and consider that there may be some food intolerance problems, such as lactose (milk/cheese/butter) or celiac disease (gluten problems)    

Trying a lactose free diet for a week, then a gluten free to see if it helps symptoms, prior to seeing a gastroenterologist would be helpful.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki

I am an expert in Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine.

I am trained and boarded in Family Medicine and have also worked extensively in emergency medicine for over 10 years.

BA in Natural Sciences; MD in 1986\borucki