Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/otitis externa

Question
I had a severe case of otitis externa six months ago. I was put on oral antibiotics and two ear drops that did not work. Finally I was put on ofloxacin otic and then an antifungal w/ steroid. I got better, but never NORMAL. I was told it was due to eczema and to leave my ear alone. Three weeks ago I got another infection, back on drops and it was fine. The thing is, the doctor says my ear canal is swollen, slightly pink, but not red and there is nothing in there now. The thing is, I woke up again this morning with a little yellow oozing, and off and on sharp ear pains. My ear is more swollen than before. It does not hurt to touch the tragus or pull on the ear, but to this day I still have some pain if I press on the hard part of my ear that is flat and just above your ear lobe. I am at my wits end here. I also keep getting this rotten head cold. My doctor says she just saw me and I was fine, so she doubts I have another infection. Is it possible for the canal to remain swollen for 6 months without an infection?

Answer
Dear Mary,

If you have not done so already, it's time to see an ear nose and throat specialist. Fungal infections are more difficult to manage, but not impossible. You may also need a prescription for prednisone to decease the swelling and allow your immune system to rest.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN