Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/problem in giving blood sample

Question
Dear Dr.
in my annual heath check up, I fell trouble during giving my blood sample  and then I got unconscious. i want to know that, this was normal, or a symptoms of any diseases ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Neeraj

Answer
Dear Neeraj,

You experienced a vasovagal response. It is not due to a disease, but a response to the needle. Your blood vessels dilated causing your blood to be broadly distributed for seconds. This is nothing to worry about and may happen again in the future. You should lay down when getting your blood drawn.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN