Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/trying hard to understand my symptoms

I am trying to figure out what is going on.  I am a 50-year-old female with Hashimoto’s, and I am in menopause.  I weigh approximately 133 pounds, and I am 5’2”.  In early 2010, I was diagnosed with being positive for diphtheroids.  Later that year, I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr.  I do not know if what is currently going on has anything to do with that, but thought I would mention it.  The only medication I am on is Synthroid.  Here are my current symptoms - any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated - thank you
Abdominal discomfort/distention – at times, I look seven months pregnant
Feeling full quickly
Hemorrhoids – bulging/bleeding
Some loss of appetite
Some slight nausea
I seem to get these symptoms about once a year, they typically resolve with antibiotics but I have never been able to find out what is going on.  I had an abdominal ultrasound about a year ago, and all was normal.  I had a colonoscopy in 2008, which was normal with the exception of a few polyps, which were removed, biopsied, and found to be non-cancerous.  I had a partial hysterectomy in 2008.  I believe they took everything with the exception of my ovaries.

I have many female patients with similar complaints.  Often they are hypothyroid and some have autoimmune disorders.  Some test positive for EBV or Lyme.  Hormones play a big role and if you adjust gonadal hormones (estrogen, progesterone, etc.) then you will have to adjust the reaction they have on thyroid.  Synthroid (T4) alone is usually not enough... it may require a bit of T3 (Westhroid has T4 & T3).  You should have your TOPs and rT3 checked by your doctor.  If you want to get a full consultation this forum is not really appropriate for that, but I do provide TeleMedicine services.  You can find out more by going to  or to see what I offer in professional services.

Your case is not simple or straight forward and is likely to require additional testing and considerations.

You can view my PowerPoint presentation online at:

or this article:

That may help you understand the pathology behind thyroid disease.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Yusuf (JP) Saleeby, MD

Will ONLY answer questions pertaining to Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease and thyroid disorders. I will forward all other questions to the question pool. This forum does not allow for the diagnosis and treatment of illness, so please don't ask questions in that regard.

Medical School: Medical College of Georgia (Augusta, GA class of 1991) Post Graduate Training: ECU school of Medicine (Greenville, NC) 20 years in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine (retired 2012). *** Licensed in states of GA, NC, SC and VA. *** Medical Director of Priority Health of SC ( *** Former Medical Director and Founder of the Saleeby Longevity Institute a clinical practice and research center in integrative (CAM,Allopathic Medicine (1999 to 2004). *** Founder of Vita Sanus, Inc. Manufacturer & Distributer of Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals and Skin Care products ( Sold in 2006. *** Adjunct Professor in Graduate School of Nursing Georgia Southern University (2002-2006). *** Author of "Wonder Herbs: A Guide to Three Adaptogens" available for sale at or signed copies at *** Former Medical Director of the Emergency Department at Marlboro Park Hospital, Bennettsville, SC (2006-2010) *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Aerobic & Fitness Association of America (AFAA) 2007-present & Contributing Editor AFAA (American Fitness magazine) 2013-present. *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Beach Body (Product Partners) 2008-present *** Founder and regional director of an alternative to high priced lab testing sites (DAT). *** Life Extension 5th Edition Book on Prevention and Disease Treatment (contributor on Chapter on Adrenal Fatigue and Stress Management) 2013 5th edition. *** Worked as chief formulator for supplement companies: Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals (Longevity Pack & entire line), SSN's PreGame Formulas for Golf and Tennis, AdapTx Labs' CardioFactor & PreFight, BeachBody's Shakeology consultant, Parhelion Labs' Oviun BioPharma sub-fertility formula ''Fertility Regimen''.

South Carolina Urban Search & Rescue Task Force-1 (USAR), former Medical Director/Control. 2010-2012. Founder and developer of Current medical practice: Former member of American Telemedicine Association Former member of A4M and ACAM. Attend regular meetings of AMMG Member in good standing ILADS (

American Fitness magazine (multiple) Cortlandt Forum Medical Economics (blog) JIVE magazine (out of print) Tea Digest Experience (out of print) Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

Health & Wellness Blogger, Medical Writer. Author of book on Adaptogens. Pioneer in Telehealth, member of ATA. Contributing Editor for American Fitness magazine. Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for Life Extension Foundation LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

*** co-Author of "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (Laughing Grape, 2014) Chapter on NDT/Thyroid. *** Authored chapter in "Life Extension Foundation, 5th Edition book on Prevention and Disease Treatment" Chapter on Stress Management/ Adrenal Fatigue.

HIPAA prohibits revealing names. Some celebrity clients.