Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Testicular lump

Question
I am a 23 year old guy and I can sometimes feel a lump on my right testicle. The lump is about pea sized (maybe smaller) and sometimes feels sort of hard and sometimes feels sort of squishy, and it doesn't hurt.

The thing is, it appears and disappears at random and I have no idea what's going on. I am certain the lump is on the testicle itself and not floating freely around in the scrotum, but I can't figure out its pattern - why it vanishes and why it appears.

I thought that perhaps it only appeared during vasocongestion, when my testicles become engorged just after arousal, but that isn't the case all the time. I can sometimes feel the lump during vasocongestion and sometimes I can't; I can sometimes feel the lump when my testicles are normal and sometimes I can't.

When the lump is there, it's not hard to find at all - I can easily zero in on it - but when I can't feel it in its usual spot, I check around the entire testicle and it's nowhere to be found - it hasn't moved, it's just disappeared.

I went to the doctor two months ago (this was before I realized that the lump was only apparent some of the time) and was pretty embarrassed when he couldn't feel anything abnormal. (plus, the exam room was very cold so he had a hard time grasping the testicle...)

I was hoping that you might be able to tell me what this might be.

Answer
This may very well be an abnormal vein that is getting congested and feels lumpy, but you are also at the age when it is possible to get a testicle cancer, so if you can consistently feel it, you need to get rechecked.   If it is occasionally there and there are times when you cannot find it with a thorough self examination, then it is reasonable to wait.....

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Robert Borucki