Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Ear wax build up

I went to the ER this morning with a horrible ear ache and the doctor there looked and said I had a build up of ear wax and told me to flush it with warm water. My question is can ear wax build up cause neck pain in the front and back of my neck and can it also cause jaw pain as well?

Dear Angela,

Ear wax puts pressure on the nerves associated with the ear. I would get a second opinion before you begin flushing out the ear. You may have a punctured ear drum causing the pain that you describe. In general, the tympanic membrane, aka ear drum, is not visualized with wax build up. Get a second opinion before you do any damage.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.