Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Feels like something stuck in throat

Question
Dear Ms Cipriano,

For the past week and a half it feels like there is something in my throat.  It doesn't hurt and I don't have any other symptoms.  It doesn't go away if I clear my throat, cough, eat or drink. I can't see it by looking in a mirror.  It doesn't feel like a bone or anything sharp, but like a blob of something I should be able to swallow or cough up but can't.  I can swallow food and liquid like normal.

I a woman in my mid-50s, ex-heavy-smoker but quit about 15 years ago. The only medicine I take is Tenoretic for blood pressure.  I have a thyroid nodule that is supposed to get an ultra-sound once a year but I have not been able to afford it for several years.  I had irregular heartbeat a few weeks ago that sent me to the emergency room where they told me I might have GERD. A course of Prilosec cleared everything up.

I look forward to your reply. I am so afraid this is cancer and am very stressed about it.

Answer
Dear C,

An enlarged thyroid nodule as well as GERD can both cause the symptoms you are describing. I think it is in your best interest to get the ultrasound of your thyroid. I recommend you speak with your healthcare provider for a biopsy of the nodule if it has not been done already.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN