Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/shingles

Question
12 year old girl having periodic outbreaks of shingles on her buttocks.  She is becoming depressed and saddened by loss of school, as well as the repeated pain and embarrassment.

Would a shingles vaccine relieve her?   And would she be able to have the vaccine.

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Dear Anna,

Are you sure it is shingles? The only way to get shingles is to have had the chicken pox. They are the same vius, the difference being that the virus from chicken pox, called the varicella virus, remains dormant after being infected with chicken pox. Once the immune system is altered, shingles may present itself. It follows a nerve path, called dermatones. If it follows more than one dermatone, it is thought to be more severe. It is unusual, but not impossible for someone under the age of 40 to suffer from shingles. If she does in fact have shingles, she should be evaluated by an Infectious  Disease Specialist.

After the age of 50, shingles can cause chronic pain syndrome. For this reason the injection is recommended. You should speak with her pediatrician about a referral to Infectious Disease. The specialist will be able to better assist you with the question regarding the vaccine.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN