Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/tongue problem, meds or allergies????

Question
do not know where to start..I am female/54/diabetic/bad control/post meno/anxiety/hypertension/high lipids/stomach issues like reflux and IBS, maybe others..in mid March was very sick with sinusitis..that began the weird lip swelling..first the half of my top lip..moved to half of low lip..(outer lips) and my tongue on either the tip or sides..one side at a time..take benadryl everywhere I go...panicking..no rhyme or reason..kept food list..meds too..on 2 different insulins. glucatrol xl., benicar, metformin, protonix, tranxene, OTc like pepto bismol and mylanta and alka seltzers...aot...now end of May it still happens..so far either ip or tongue...afraid of getting in windpipe..Dr seems unconcerned..I noticed suddenly american cheese then breaded chicken at Jacks but not kfs, then ate an egg and in grocery store 5 hrs later it did it...then when daughter sat by me it happened on my lip right then..sriving me crazt; scared for my life as Benadryl takes a few hrs to work and some tmes I sleep thru night from benadryl and places get smaller but go away the next day...help me..and another thing..it happened once when I had ONE bite of a cheddar cheese cracker..today I foolisly swallowed my pills with a swig of mylanta and pepto and then it happened on tongue..only thing ate earlier was a tiny chicken finger from Jacks...IF I ever got swollen in windpipe would I feel aa lump like my tongue and lips do or would I just start to smother???meds are benicar hct, glucatrol xl, metformin, lantus, protonix for 10 yrs

Answer
Hives and angioedema can be caused by:

Foods. Many foods can trigger reactions in people with sensitivities. Shellfish, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and milk are frequent offenders.
Medications. Almost any medication may cause hives or angioedema. Common culprits include penicillin, aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), naproxen (Aleve) and blood pressure medications.

Common allergens. Other substances that can cause hives and angioedema include pollen, animal dander, latex and insect stings.

Environmental factors. Examples include heat, cold, sunlight, water, pressure on the skin, emotional stress and exercise.

Underlying medical conditions. Hives and angioedema also occasionally occur in response to blood transfusions, immune system disorders such as lupus, some types of cancer such as lymphoma, certain thyroid conditions, and infections with bacteria or viruses such as hepatitis, HIV, cytomegalovirus or Epstein-Barr virus.

Genetics. Hereditary angioedema is a rare inherited (genetic) form of the condition. It's related to low levels or abnormal functioning of certain blood proteins that play a role in regulating how your immune system functions.

The above information is from the Mayo Clinic. If it is not due to meds, I believe it is diet related - specifically eggs and/or the chicken which may be made with eggs. I recommend you see an Allergist. This is not normal and you need to find out was is triggering this. An allergist can do tests to help find the culprit.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN