Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/water after food

Question
QUESTION: Dear Doctor,
         After taking food ,i used to take good amount of water. but now only i came to know it disturb the digestion process. when can i have to take water ?if i am not taking enough water, kidney stone formation will takes place so kindly clarify

Reg
Kumar

ANSWER: Dear Kumar,

Thank you for writing in. I am not sure what you mean about water disturbing the digestive track. Water is necessary to keep the body hydrated, flush the kidneys, regulate the colon in order to form a stool that is soft enough to pass. There are many fad diets, one of which limits the amount of water ingested. There is no scientific research to prove this to be correct.

QUESTION: Dear Dr.Pamela M. Cipriano, MSN, APRN, ACNP-BC,

I should clearly ask my question. Actually I used to take 500ml of water immediately after taking food. but i have read one book which states that it is wrong. digestion need Hcl and if water is taken immediately after food,the acid is diluted and harm the digestion.it leads to food send from stomach with 50 percent digestion or less. so body unable to get necessary things since food was not digested completely.the author told we should  should not drink water  30 min before food and take water only after one hour from food intake.that time digestion is over in stomach area.

what is your opinion?

Reg
Kumar

Answer
Dear Kumar,

There are two parts to the intestines: the smal intestines and the large intestines. Food goes in your mouth, down the esophagus, into the stomach where acid helps to breakdown food into particles, through the small intestines where nutrients are absorbed, into the large intestines where fluid is absorbed in order to form a stool, through the rectum, and into the toilet.

Water does not cause problems with digestion. It does not change the ph in the stomach. Proton pump inhibitors, which are drugs used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, change the ph of the stomach by decreasing the acidity and making it more alkalotic. This can hinder the breakdown of the food, causing a decrease in nutrient absorption.

If drinking 500 ml of water assists in your digestion of food, I would not change anything.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN