Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/2 Questions, hiccups and elevated D-Dimer

Question

I have two completely different questions to ask. First of all, I have been waking up with hiccups almost every single day for about a month and getting them frequently. I'm also getting acid up the back of my throat, do hiccups usually start from acid reflux?

Other question (which is totally unrelated) I was having sharp pains on my right side when breathing in the middle of the night last night. They eventually stopped but started again today, it was on the right in my rib cage. I called my Dr, who said go to urgent care, who did a few tests and sent me to the ER. I had a chest xray, EKG, blood work, and a CT scan. My D-Dimer score (? I don't really get how that one works) was 0.55 which I was told is high, which is why they did the CT with contrast.

They didn't see anything on the CT and the doctor didn't seem too worried after that. She said since all the other tests looked good, it isn't anything serious and sent me home. Should I be concerned that I do have a blood clot somewhere? She basically said that you can get an elevated D-dimer from a bruise, but I just wanted to ask another opinion. Should I still be concerned about that?

Answer
Dear Julia,

Regarding the first part of your question, did you see a gastroenterologist about the hiccups and GERD? If not, I strongly recommend that you do.

Regarding the second part of your question, a D.Dimer is a test that is used to identify fibrin in the blood. Any fibrin can elevate the number. Fibrin comes from clots. The cutoff at my hospital is 0.49. I have had people with a D.Dimer of 1.01 and they did not have a clot. If you are concerned, you can ask for an ultrasound of your lower extremities to assess for deep vein thrombosis. This is he generally where the clot would form. Other things like recent infection, recent surgery, and pneumonia can elevate the D.Dimer.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN