Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Do I have hiatal hernia?

Question
Hiatal hernia? help?
I was x-rayed and it says I'm negative of infections in my chest area. That was the time I had acid reflux. The result did not say anything about a hernia. It just says, diaphragm was intact. So does that mean I don't have a hiatal hernia even until now?

Answer
Dear Lance,

X-rays are read by radiologists. Each radiologist interprets and dictates images differently. The general rule is if it was not mentioned, it is not there. However, you can request that the films be reviewed specifically to assess for a hiatal hernia. Also, if it is very small, it may not show up. In that case, you would need an endoscopy done by a gastroenterologist.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN