Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/How long will steroid shot stay in my system?

I had a steroid shot on Sunday, 05/31/2014 at 1:30 p.m. for a severe case of poison ivy.
The poison ivy is much better but I feel a tad loopy.  I feel like I am in a daze.  I am very sleepy.  
I had:

When can I expect to feel normal again?

Thank you!

Dear Bonnie,

Dexamethasone and methylprednisolone are two separate steroids. Dexamethasone is a long acting steroid, while methyprednisolone is a shorter acting steroid.

The half life for dexamethasone is 36-54 hours. Meaning that half of the drug is still in your system at that time. By 392 hours, there will be no drug in your body at that time.

Methylprednisolone on the other hand has a half life of 18-36 hours. Therefore, there will be no drug in your body by 216 hours.

The short answer is: In approximately 2 weeks, there will be no drug in your body.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.