Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Side Pain

Question
Hello! I've had a side ache on my right side for over 48 hours now. It's a dull ache along the waist line on the right side. I am a 27 year old female, I have both ovaries & I have my appendix. I have no fever, no vomitting, no nausea & the pain has not increased. It has just been a steady, dull ache. Could this be a UTI or kidney infection? I've never had a side ache for a prolonged period of time before. It didn't start from anything in particular, like exercise. It started randomly when I got home from work 2 days ago. Thanks so much!

Answer
Dear Shannon,

The appendix is located in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen. It generally causes referred pain near the umbilicus (belly button). Nothing in medicine is ever always or never. The ascending colon is on the right side of the abdomen and can become irritated with constipation or other bowel disorders, the gallbladder sits under the liver in the right upper quadrant and generally causes pain which may radiate to the epigastric region (stomach) or the right side of the back. The right kidney sits retro peritoneal in the abdomen. It is located close to the mid back. The ureters carry fluid from the kidneys to the bladder. If this is related to the kidney or a kidney stone you would generally experience pain along the right side of the abdomen, the flank area, or close to the bladder.

My point through this discussion is that your pain can be something as simple as a tired muscle or as serious as a kidney stone. If the pain worsens or does not subside, I recommend you seek medical attention.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN