Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Hashimoto's / Hypothyroidism

I have low thyroid.  My sister says it's hashimoto.  My real question is this;  my daughter, 38 yrs old was told she has low thyroid and they prescribed her levothyroxin at 250 mcg daily.  She is 5'2 and 105 lbs.  Isn't this a really high dose?  But, she hasn't been taking it regularly.  Is that safe?  Low thyroid runs in both sides of my daughter's family.  I have it, my sisters, my aunt, her paternal grandmother and paternal aunt.

Hashimoto's is the #1 cause of hypothyroidism in American women these days.  It is an autoimmune disorder and if her titers are elevated she may require a larger dose of replacement hormone.  T4 only (Synthroid) is traditionally used by most Endo guys, but in my humble opinion it is NOT the best option.  Most folks w/ Hashis cannot convert T4 to T3 and never feel good.  NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) is preferred.

Couple of suggestions:  READ the book:  "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II"... available on Amazon, and I authored the chapter (3) on NDT.  Read this cover to cover... it is one of the BEST books out there for both practitioners and patients.  It explains and answers most questions people have about hypothyroidism.  Also check out the web site:  that is a great forum for educating yourself.

Labs to be considered:  TSH, fT4, fT3, rT3, TPO abs and TGabs as well as genomic testing for MTHFR and possibly the gene responsible for T4-T3 conversion Thr92Ala genotype.

Lastly, I do telehealth consultation for the purpose of getting people feeling GREAT on the right kind of thyroid replacement and using the correct test is a big first step.  For more on that go to:

If you reply to my main email I can attache a PowerPoint on Hypothyroidism, it is a lecture I give regularly.

JP Saleeby, MD (

Also interesting is: on thyroid genetics.

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Yusuf (JP) Saleeby, MD

Will ONLY answer questions pertaining to Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease and thyroid disorders. I will forward all other questions to the question pool. This forum does not allow for the diagnosis and treatment of illness, so please don't ask questions in that regard.

Medical School: Medical College of Georgia (Augusta, GA class of 1991) Post Graduate Training: ECU school of Medicine (Greenville, NC) 20 years in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine (retired 2012). *** Licensed in states of GA, NC, SC and VA. *** Medical Director of Priority Health of SC ( *** Former Medical Director and Founder of the Saleeby Longevity Institute a clinical practice and research center in integrative (CAM,Allopathic Medicine (1999 to 2004). *** Founder of Vita Sanus, Inc. Manufacturer & Distributer of Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals and Skin Care products ( Sold in 2006. *** Adjunct Professor in Graduate School of Nursing Georgia Southern University (2002-2006). *** Author of "Wonder Herbs: A Guide to Three Adaptogens" available for sale at or signed copies at *** Former Medical Director of the Emergency Department at Marlboro Park Hospital, Bennettsville, SC (2006-2010) *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Aerobic & Fitness Association of America (AFAA) 2007-present & Contributing Editor AFAA (American Fitness magazine) 2013-present. *** Appointed to Medical Advisory Board for Beach Body (Product Partners) 2008-present *** Founder and regional director of an alternative to high priced lab testing sites (DAT). *** Life Extension 5th Edition Book on Prevention and Disease Treatment (contributor on Chapter on Adrenal Fatigue and Stress Management) 2013 5th edition. *** Worked as chief formulator for supplement companies: Vita Sanus Nutraceuticals (Longevity Pack & entire line), SSN's PreGame Formulas for Golf and Tennis, AdapTx Labs' CardioFactor & PreFight, BeachBody's Shakeology consultant, Parhelion Labs' Oviun BioPharma sub-fertility formula ''Fertility Regimen''.

South Carolina Urban Search & Rescue Task Force-1 (USAR), former Medical Director/Control. 2010-2012. Founder and developer of Current medical practice: Former member of American Telemedicine Association Former member of A4M and ACAM. Attend regular meetings of AMMG Member in good standing ILADS (

American Fitness magazine (multiple) Cortlandt Forum Medical Economics (blog) JIVE magazine (out of print) Tea Digest Experience (out of print) Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

Health & Wellness Blogger, Medical Writer. Author of book on Adaptogens. Pioneer in Telehealth, member of ATA. Contributing Editor for American Fitness magazine. Authored Books on Adaptogen Herbs (Wonder Herbs: A guide to three adaptogens) 2006 Authored chapter on Stress Management for Life Extension Foundation LEF text book on Prevention of Diseases and Treatments (2013) Authored Chapter 3 in "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (2014)

*** co-Author of "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II" (Laughing Grape, 2014) Chapter on NDT/Thyroid. *** Authored chapter in "Life Extension Foundation, 5th Edition book on Prevention and Disease Treatment" Chapter on Stress Management/ Adrenal Fatigue.

HIPAA prohibits revealing names. Some celebrity clients.