Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Hashimoto's / Hypothyroidism

Question
I have low thyroid.  My sister says it's hashimoto.  My real question is this;  my daughter, 38 yrs old was told she has low thyroid and they prescribed her levothyroxin at 250 mcg daily.  She is 5'2 and 105 lbs.  Isn't this a really high dose?  But, she hasn't been taking it regularly.  Is that safe?  Low thyroid runs in both sides of my daughter's family.  I have it, my sisters, my aunt, her paternal grandmother and paternal aunt.

Answer
Victoria,

Hashimoto's is the #1 cause of hypothyroidism in American women these days.  It is an autoimmune disorder and if her titers are elevated she may require a larger dose of replacement hormone.  T4 only (Synthroid) is traditionally used by most Endo guys, but in my humble opinion it is NOT the best option.  Most folks w/ Hashis cannot convert T4 to T3 and never feel good.  NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) is preferred.

Couple of suggestions:  READ the book:  "Stop the Thyroid Madness, II"... available on Amazon, and I authored the chapter (3) on NDT.  Read this cover to cover... it is one of the BEST books out there for both practitioners and patients.  It explains and answers most questions people have about hypothyroidism.  Also check out the web site:  www.stopthethyroidmadness.org  that is a great forum for educating yourself.

Labs to be considered:  TSH, fT4, fT3, rT3, TPO abs and TGabs as well as genomic testing for MTHFR and possibly the gene responsible for T4-T3 conversion Thr92Ala genotype.

Lastly, I do telehealth consultation for the purpose of getting people feeling GREAT on the right kind of thyroid replacement and using the correct test is a big first step.  For more on that go to:  http://www.GetMyThyroidFixed.com

If you reply to my main email I can attache a PowerPoint on Hypothyroidism, it is a lecture I give regularly.

Best,

JP Saleeby, MD (jpsaleeby@aol.com)

Also interesting is:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3219766/ on thyroid genetics.

=======

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Yusuf (JP) Saleeby, MD