Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Staphylococcus

Question
I developed an abscess 3 days ago. On day 2 I went to the ER to have it drained. I was prescribed Percocet 7.5, Keflex 500mg, and Septra-DS (800-160mg).It is now the end of day 3 the abscess has tripled in size, and I still haven't had a bowel movement. I have tried stool softener, laxative, and suppositories. I am a 31 year old male 5'9" in height and approximately 212lbs. Should I go back to the ER?

Answer
Get yourself back to the ER or to your Primary Care physician.  The abscess may not have been properly drained or contained loculatrions that need to be addressed.  YOu may even need a drain.  MRSA is a concern... Septra covers it, Keflex does not.  With I&D the abscess should do nothing but shrink.  Likely it will need more I&D (Incision & Drainage).  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Yusuf (JP) Saleeby, MD