Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Injured Wrist

Question

About a week ago, I went to pick a heavy board up, and kind of jerked upward to get it off the floor. My wrist must have been at an odd angle because it felt kind of strange as soon as I lifted. I thought I may have strained my wrist because it started to swell around the knobby bone on the back of the wrist.

Most of the pain is gone, although still a little swollen, but what concerns me is that I cannot twist my wrist (palm up) like I used to. Most of the pain I experience now is when I twist my wrist.

Thank You

Answer
Dear C K,

Thank you for writing in. As soon as an injury occurs, the best thing to do is to allow it to Rest it, Ice it, wrap it with an ace wrap to Compress it and decrease swelling, and Elevate it. (RICE). The tendons and ligaments may be swollen. If you are still unable to turn your wrist without pain after performing the instructions I listed for approximately one week, you may need imaging to identify any damage to the ligaments and tendons.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN