Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/nausea

When I fell on ice and hit my head I developed a concussion. While in the ER I vomited 3 times and they gave me some anti nausea medicine. I do not recall the name of it. I know I was given Meclizine however I am not sure if that was for the nausea. What is a popular med for the feeling you are about to throw up? Thank you. ps why does having a concussion make you throw up? I couldn't stop. and i have no history of vomiting for no reason. Thank you.

Dear S,

Your may have been given Zofran (ondansetron) for the nausea. A concussion is a jarring of the brain. The brain is surrounded by fluid. When jostled, it hits the skull causing inflammation and increased intracranial pressure. This is what causes the vomiting. If you are still nauseous, you should have a repeat CAT scan to be sure everything healed properly. Hope this helps.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.