Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Pulmonary Nodules

Question
Dr. Cipriano,

My boyfriend has been seeing a Pulmonologist for awhile now. His symptoms started out as difficulty breathing, fatigue, there's been some weight loss....etc.

He first went to his cardiologist. Cardiologist sent him to a pulmonologist. Testing found that his lung capacity is severely affected. CT Scan showed multiple nodules within his lungs measuring up to 6mm. The most recent shows a nodule in his kidney. The Pulmonologist does not seem worried about this. He's pretty much contributing those to being on Humira. He went off the Humira for a few months and is now back on it. This Pulmonologist has also sent him to an ENT...thinking this is all sinus related. He has an upcoming appointment in March for a second opinion with a Rhuematologist and Pulmonologist. I have his CT Scans but see there is no way to get that to you.

Any insight you may have would be very appreciated. The length of time this has been going on has us very concerned.

Thank You,

Angie

Answer
Dear Angie,

In medicine, everything is looked at: blood work, pulmonary function tests, imaging, consultations, etc. His symptoms can be caused by a number of things. Without lab work or CT reports, it's impossible for me to give you any kind of an opinion. In the recent past, people have scanned the CT, lab, and pulmonary function reports to me. If you have access to this type of computer equipment, I can be better able to look at his tests and give you my insight.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN